Every child Matters social development : Social Development

Every child Matters social development

Of Social Development to

In 2003, the government published a Green Paper called Every Child Matters. This was published alongside the formal response to the report into the death of Victoria Climbié, the young girl who was horrifically abused, tortured, and eventually killed by her great aunt and the man with whom they lived. The Every Child Matters (ECM) Green Paper identified the five outcomes that are most important to children and young people, which include being healthy, staying safe, enjoying and achieving, making a positive contribution and achieving economic well-being. These five outcomes are universal ambitions for every child and young person, whatever their background and circumstances (DfES, 2003). The outcomes are mutually reinforcing, for example “children and young people learn to thrive when they are healthy, safe and engaged, and the evidence shows clearly that educational achievement is the most effective route out of poverty” (DfES, 2003). Therefore in this essay I am going to critically evaluate the current legislation, policies and procedures that impact on looked-after children (LAC) with reference to two of the five ECM outcomes: being healthy and enjoying and achieving.

CONTEXT FOR LAC

Under the Children Act 1989, a child is looked after by a local authority if he/she is in their care or provided with accommodation for more than 24 hours by the local authority. This includes children who are accommodated under a voluntary agreement with their parents (section 20), children who are the subject of a care order (section 31) or interim care order (section 38) and children who are the subject of emergency orders (section 44) (opsi.gov.uk).

The Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) national statistics for LAC in England (including adoption and care leavers) for the year ending 31 March 2009 noted that there were approximately 60, 900 LAC, which is 2% more than last year’s figure of 59, 400 and relatively unchanged compared to 2005 (61, 000). The majority (73%) of children were of White British origin, with the remaining 27 per cent being from a variety of other ethnic backgrounds (DCSF, 2009). The majority of LAC – 73 per cent – are looked after by foster carers, with 1 in 6 of these placed with family and friends. A small number of children (290 in 2007) live in secure children’s homes, either as ‘welfare’ placements or placed by the Youth Justice Board. Nearly a third of children (30%) are placed outside of their local authority boundary, although around half of these still live within 20 miles of their home. This has implications for how services are commissioned for these children. The government therefore developed policies and legislation which highlight a drive towards significantly improving the future outcomes of all LAC.

You might also like

Enrichment Education

by FTK-BCO

One of the great things about his country is that whenever there is a problem or challenge, there will be an American that will come up with a solution.
We have created the "no child left behind" theory of quality assurance in our school system, and this is a good amd valiant effort to make sure that the system is designed well enough to insure that it isn't above any child in content.
However, it raises some questions, if not concerns. For children with needs that revolve around a challenge, those who are bored easily, or need more stimulation, are there needs being met

Connecting to disconnect?  — Kashmir Reader
Research has proven Children's social development is at risk due to increased social isolation as children playing by themselves; their linguistic intellectual and imagination development is at risk.

Habitat for kids and wildlife  — Surrey Leader
“Council recognizes that playgrounds are very important for children's social development, as it is there they get a chance to play, socialize and meet new friends,” said Delta Mayor Lois.